Firefighter Hiring Process
Gainesville Fire-Rescue will only begin the employment process when an allotted position(s) becomes vacant. The Human Resources Department for the City initiates the job posting and advertising.
If you are interested in a career with Gainesville Fire-Rescue, please visit our Career Portal to apply for existing openings and to be notified of future openings.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain at the time of employment a Basic Structural Firefighter Certification from the Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP)
- If out of state, IFSAC seals are required
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain an EMT-B certification or higher from the Texas Department of State Health Services or National Registry at the time of employment.
- Must have good driving record in accordance with the City and department motor vehicle requirements.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
|Hazardous Materials Technician (HMT)||$23.08||$600.00|
|Fire Officer I
|Fire Officer II
|Fire Officer III||$27.69||$720.00|
|Fire Officer IV||$36.92||$960.00|
|Bilingual (Spanish & English)
|Fire Science Masters Certification**
Applicants will be contacted after an online application has been received and verified that the minimum requirements have been met. Qualified applicants will then be notified via e-mail with an invitation to take the written exam. The following steps outline the hiring process.
- Written Exam (Must pass the written test with a score of 70% or higher to move on to the next step)
- Personal History Statement (PDF)
- Oral Interview Board
- Physical Agility Test (PDF)
- Background Investigation
- Chief’s Interview
- Offer of Employment – Upon completion of the medical exam, drug screen, and approval by the city physician
DEPARTMENT DIVISIONS AND SPECIALIZED TEAMS
For further questions or information, email Division Chief Jeffrey Stevens or call 940-668-5734.