Contractor Information

All contractors conducting work that requires a permit must be registered with the City. No contractor may obtain a permit without first registering with the City.

To register with the City, contractors must submit a completed application for contractor registration (see below), a copy of their valid driver's license, and a certificate of liability insurance showing $1,000,000 per occurrence and listing the City of Gainesville as certificate holder. Plumbers, electricians, mechanical contractors (HVAC), and other licensed trade contractors must also submit copies of any applicable state licenses. Contractors must also pay a fee, per the fee schedule, to register with the City. Please call 940-668-4799 if you have questions about registering as a contractor.

In addition to being registered with the City, plumbers, electricians and air conditioning contractors are currently required to be licensed by the State of Texas. Ask your prospective contractors if they are registered with the City and the State, and ask to see their license to confirm they comply with local and state laws. All contractors that register with the City are given a contractor identification card that they should be able to produce, or the citizen can call the Community Development Department at 940-668-4799 to inquire about a particular contractor.

Before your contractor begins work, ask to see the issued permit. Owners are responsible for ensuring that any work conducted on their property is properly permitted. Double fees are applied to projects that fail to obtain a permit.

View the Application for Contractor Registration (PDF).

View a List of Registered Contractors.(PDF) (Updated monthly)