The Gainesville Municipal Golf Course was opened in 1956 with nine holes designed by renowned architect, Ralph Plummer. Mr. Plummer was involved in more than 50 golf course designs in his career, including Tanglewood, Wichita Falls Country Club, Denton Country Club, and the Preston Trail Golf Club in Dallas.
When a City bond election failed to build the second nine holes on the site, Jack Schafer, golf pro and manager at the time, used donated funding and the help of City equipment and labor to complete the course.
The Gainesville Municipal Golf Course design lends itself to be enjoyed by the beginner as well as the most accomplished golfer. Wide open fairways along with crowned greens allows this course to be enjoyed by all.
The golf course is located 3.5 miles west of Interstate 35 on Highway 82. For a reasonably priced round of golf, the Gainesville Municipal Golf Course is a must to try.